Massive human trafficking probe leads to more than 300 charges in the GTA in Quebec

Massive human trafficking probe leads to more than 300 charges in the GTA in Quebec

Rogers Media uses cookies to personalize, customize its online advertising, and for other purposes. Learn more or change your cookie preferences. Rogers Media supports the principles of the Digital Advertising Union. By continuing to use our service, you agree to our use of cookies.

Ontario and Quebec police say they have dismantled a sophisticated human trafficking ring led by an organized crime group that allegedly forced dozens of women and underage girls to work in the sex trade.

More than 300 charges were filed Wednesday by York area police after 34 search warrants were executed at many locations throughout the Greater Toronto Area and Quebec last week.

Thirty-one people were arrested by the police named in the Convalesce project. & Nbsp; a multi-provincial probe that began in October 2018 after two women tried to flee and contacted the police.

Investigators said 12 alleged victims have been identified, but they believe more than 30 women were forced to work for the group. According to police, the group used violence to enforce compliance.

"Despite ongoing violent assaults, sexual assaults, torture and other degrading circumstances, many victims are too afraid to report and often deny the events," said York Regional Police. "Officers continue to work to assist and support their victims."

"York Regional Police continues to provide assistance and support to victims of violent trafficking," said Eric Jolliffe. "I commend the investigating officials for their diligent work in dismantling this organized crime."

Events in Arequipa
Business class